Dr. Willie Ong shared his two cents regarding the Dengvaxia issue.



Dr. Willie Ong shared his two cents regarding the Dengvaxia issue.
This was after  Dr. Ong watched the press conference in Malacañang with the Department of Health (DOH) and also the Sanofi Pasteur, the drug producer.

Ong defended Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque on the statement he released saying that “Severe dengue does not cause death" and clarified that a severe dengue may cause death.

“Baka nagkamali lang po ng statement. Puwede pa naman ayusin. Kahit maliit ang tsansa, puwede po makamatay ang severe dengue (Maybe there was a mistake in the statement. It still can be fixed. Though the chance is low, severe dengue may lead to death)”. Ong said.
 


Sanofi Pasteur said during their press conference that they will still resume the second and third dose vaccination, though there’s a 10% chance that it can harm the patient once diagnosed with dengue, because of the remaining 90% of benifits. This statement of the drug producer was dissented by Ong as long there is no 100% blood test to confirm that the patient had previous infection.

“Doon tayo sa pag-iingat. Ayaw ko magbigay ng bakuna kung may agam-agam na posible makasama ito (Let’s go with safety. I don’t want to vaccinate if there’s a doubt that it may cause harm)” Ong said.
 


November 29, more than a year has passed, after Sanofi released the world’s first dengue vaccine, it advised the public that clinical studies revealed the vaccine poses more risks for recipients who had no prior infection, in an update on its website at the time. This was what Dr. ong emphasized in his post.

“The analysis confirmed that Dengvaxia provides persistent protective benefit against dengue fever in those who had prior infection. For those not previously infected by dengue virus, however, the analysis found that in the longer term, more cases of severe disease could occur following vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection." Sanofi said.

"Vaccination should only be recommended when the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks (in countries with high burden of dengue disease). For individuals who have not been previously infected by dengue virus, vaccination should not be recommended." Sanofi added.
 


Doctor Ong set an expectation to the public that there is a 10% risk chance of severe dengue to those received the vaccination that never had infection.

Ong ended his post by recommending the President and the DOH to hear others opinion for their decision making. This was based on his study and experienced "behind the scenes" in 2015 that is why he came up with this opinion.


Read his full post below:

"Dengvaxia Isyu:
"Paumanhin po. IBA ang OPINYON namin. - doc willie at liza ong

"Napanood ko ang Press Con sa Malacanang at ng DOH.- 11 AM
"Napanood ko rin ang Press Con ng Sanofi. - 10 AM

"Ang sabi:
"1. "Severe dengue does not cause death" - Sec Roque.

"Opinyon ko: Baka nagkamali lang po ng statement. Puwede pa naman ayusin. Kahit maliit ang tsansa, puwede po makamatay ang severe dengue.

"2. "Kung sa Sanofi opinion, ITUTULOY pa rin nila ang bakuna sa second at third dose kahit may 10% chance na makasasama ito kung magka-dengue ang bata. Dahil nga daw sa 90% na may benepisyo naman." - Sanofi presscon.

"Opinyon ko: Para sa akin, ay HINDI ko bibigyan ng first, second or third dose ang pasyente. Hanggang walang 100% blood test na may DATING infection ang pasyente, na di pa daw available ngayon.
Hati ang mga doktor dito sa opinyon. Pero ITO ang paniniwala ko.

"Tandaan: Doon tayo sa pag-iingat. Ayaw ko magbigay ng bakuna kung may agam-agam na posible makasama ito. Dapat TIYAK sa blood test muna. 10% risk is unacceptable po para sa akin. Saka iyang risk ay hindi matatanggal agad. Aabutin ng DEKADA nasa katawan (estimate lang po dahil walang datos).

"Ang LINAW po ng BAGONG Advisory ng Sanofi (November 29, 2017): "For individuals who have not been previously infected by dengue virus, vaccination should not be recommended." Ang ibig sabihin, KUNG may mangyari ay wala silang sagutin. SINULAT na nga nila na "Not Recommended" eh.

"Note: Heto ang balanseng opinyon sa amin. HINDI yung pinapa-kalma lang kayo. Pero hindi rin yung pinapa-panic kayo ng walang dahilan.
In short, MAY RISK ng SEVERE DENGUE sa 10% na naturukan. Hindi malaki ang risk, pero may dagdag RISK pa rin kung nabakunahan ka.

"Note 2: Kaibigan, Rekomendasyon ko lang ito. Maganda siguro marinig ng Presidente at DOH ang iba't ibang opinyon. Sila na po bahala mag-decide. Hindi naman maganda na tatahimik tayo KUNG sa tingin ko ay ito ang MAKABUBUTI sa bayan. Para ito sa mga batang nabakunahan. HINDI ko sinasabing tama ako, pero base ito sa pag-aaral ko. Marami akong alam na nangyari "behind the scenes" noong 2015 kaya ganito opinyon ko. Useless naman buhay ko kung di ko kayo ipaglalaban. God bless po. - doc willie at liza ong


***

No comments

Powered by Blogger.